Monday, September 8, 2008

First Week of Tooth School

July 20, 2008

 Heading off to my first day of dental school!!!

 

We have officially survived my first week of UOP Dental School, alive.   It was actually really fun, in a weird “I have no idea what I’ve gotten myself into” kind of way.  There was a lot of information thrown at us and at times it was overwhelming, but they ended the week with a cioppinno dinner (crab, shrimp, scallop stew), put on by the Alumni Association, which made up for it.

 

One thing I kept noticing is how much stuff I was being given - computer, backpack, books, instruments, folders, papers, food, name-card, loupes - it was almost like Christmas (until I remembered how much we pay for tuition).

 

Morgan had family orientation last Saturday and between that, church and other activities we’ve met many wonderful, friendly, supportive people.  At a panel for spouses/family Morgan asked when she could expect me to be free - to which the answer was “In three years”.  It probably won’t be that bad, but I’m so grateful that Morgan is so supportive and understanding.  I don’t know what I’d do without her!

 

We actually did start classes and, amazingly, we got our first use of our handpieces (drills).  It was really fun, I almost felt like a dentist.  The representative for the handpiece company let us know that out of the 32 schools he works with we are the only one that use our handpieces the first year, let alone the first week.  I guess in a three year curriculum they get you started early.  It should be a fast, great, troubling, rewarding three years!

 

No comments: